Buying a house with solar? Great move! But here are some important considerations…

School & Education / Sustainability by Tom Edwards

How Long Residential Solar Panels Last

Buying a house with solar panels is a great decision, as you get to enjoy lower energy bills and it enhances your home resale value. (According to recent research, homes with solar panels installed are valued on average $125,000 higher than those without!)  But there are still important considerations you should be aware of.  We have compiled some of the questions here to make it easier for you.

What is the size of the solar panel?

The size of a solar system impacts how effective it will be for your home and how much of a saving it will generate. Please check how much electricity your solar panels will generate for you to ensure it is sufficient to support the running of your key home appliances. By having an energy generation estimate, you can also decide how much energy you sell or export to the grid.

How much warranty is left on the panels?

Generally, solar systems these days offer a warranty of 25+ years. It’s crucial to check the warranty left on a solar system if you’re buying a house with a system already in place.  It helps to ensure that your solar system is free of malfunctioning, and offering you the best value for your money.

With a warranty, you can usually ask the retailer to replace and/or perform a maintenance check in case you system is not functioning at optimum capacity. This is why it is highly recommended that you check how much warranty is left on your system.  And always ask if there is an option to increase the warranty period!

What if I have to repair my rooftop for some reason?

Restoring a rooftop with solar panels is generally more complicated than a rooftop without solar panels. If you need to repair your rooftop with solar panels, please ensure that you appoint a professional and accredited expert with experience in removing and replacing solar panels.

Your roof can only be repaired once your solar panels are taken down.  Similarly once fixed, your solar panels will need to be re-installed correctly. To give you an indication, roof restoration involving a solar system may generally cost between $800 to $3000.  So be sure to get a few quotes from accredited experts.

With the staggering rise of electricity , it’s still a smart decision

We’ve already felt the circa 20% increase to electricity bills in the last few months.  With a further rise of 30% by the end of 2023/2024, that’s a total of 50% increase by 2024!  For the average Australian family with an electricity bill of $405 quarterly or $1620 yearly, the predicted rising energy bill for households is massively concerning.


Buying a house with solar panels in place is still a great move!  You just need to ask a few questions for peace of mind and you should be on your way to enjoy greater savings from lower energy bills.

Why UNIfied?

At UNIfied, we are here to ensure you can get the best out of your solar system and pay less for your electricity bills. We stand by the quality of our products and services.  In choosing UNIfied, you automatically benefit from our Solar Savings Guarantee program, get

  • a 12-year product warranty
  • a 25-year performance guarantee, along with
  • a 5-year warranty on our workmanship

Contact UNIfied today or call 1300 817 847 to achieve greater savings in these precarious times, and start your journey of clean energy living!


Check out other tips to be more energy efficient


Don’t miss out and stay updated on the latest news and happenings in energy solutions. Know what you can do to be as energy efficient as possible.

© 2010-2023 UNIfied, All Rights Reserved

UNIfied acknowledges the Traditional Owners of the land where I/we work and live. We pay our respects to Elders past, present and emerging. We celebrate the stories, culture and traditions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elders of all communities who also work and live on this land.